PTA Board Position Descriptions
Officer and Chairman Job Descriptions have been developed by California State PTA for use by unit, council, and district PTAs. These guidelines are meant to assist officers and chairmen in their duties throughout the term of office.
All roles are for a one year term: July - June
- Oversees and coordinates the work of an executive board to run a PTA effectively
- Presides at PTA board and association meetings
- Serves as the official contact, communicator and representative of the PTA
- Designated as an authorized signer for PTA checks, contracts and authorizations for payment
- Serves as ex-officio member of all committees except the nominating committee
- Works with other PTA leaders to connect families, school and community to support student success
- Keep an accurate record of the proceedings of all meetings of the association and the executive board.
- Be prepared to refer to minutes of previous meetings.
- Prepare a list of unfinished business for the use of president.
- In conjunction with the President, sign all authorizations for payment authorizing the expenditure of funds following approval by the association or executive board in accordance with the bylaws.
- Record all expenditures in the minute.
- Keep a current signed original set of the bylaws and standing rules.
- Perform such other duties as may be delegated to the secretary.
- Conduct all necessary correspondence of the association upon authorization of the president, executive board or association.
- Send out notices of executive board meetings.
- Maintains permanent records to track unit funds and financial transactions
- Chairs budget committee and prepares annual budget for adoption by the association
- Pays all PTA bills as authorized by board or association
- Prepares reports for every board and association meeting and an annual financial report
- Ensures taxes and reports required by PTA bylaws, insurance or federal and state governments are completed and submitted by the due dates
- Works closely with the treasurer and other financial officers in handling PTA funds
- Keeps a record of all PTA funds collected, deposited and disbursed
- Prepares monthly and annual financial reports
- Audits the books and financial records of a PTA to determine their accuracy
- Presents written reports on audits to the board and the association for adoption
- Forwards copies of adopted audits to council/district PTA as indicated in unit bylaws
- Works with a committee, appointed by the president, to plan and organize fundraising activities
- Focuses on raising the amount of funds needed to meet the unit’s budget
- Presents reports on proposed fundraising activities at board and association meetings for approval
- Print publications: past issues, deadline schedules, duplicating process and mailing permit information, templates.
- Electronic communications: email account names and passwords, web hosting information, domain name information, social media usernames, logins and passwords, webmaster contact information.
- Calendar of events and contact information for PTA officers and chairmen.
- Names and contact information for local media contacts.
- Works with committee and other chairmen to plan and organize programs for the school year
- Collaborates with principal, PTA president, other committee chairmen and campus student groups to coordinate, plan and implement programs
- Develops annual program calendar and presents it at PTA association meeting for adoption
- Publicizes approved program calendar using newsletters, website, social networks and school handbook
- Oversees and delegates volunteer recruitment for implementing and running programs
- Captures, assembles and preserves record of activities and achievements of a PTA
- Collects volunteer hours for PTA meetings and events
- Completes and submits the PTA Unit-Annual Historian Report to council/district PTA
- Fills out Historian Summary Report and files copies as Historian records, like minutes are kept forever
- Copies for minutes, procedure book and, if applicable, president’s memory book
- Displays or presents brief overview of PTA year at meeting near the end of the school year
- Works with the membership committee to plan the annual membership campaign.
- Responsible for creating and implementing a membership plan
- Promotes membership throughout the year, collects membership dues, and distributing membership cards.
- Provides membership reports at PTA board and association meetings,
- Assists the president to manage meetings and advises on parliamentary procedure
- Chairs bylaws committee to review unit bylaws each year and revise bylaws every five years
- Arranges nominating committee’s first meeting, providing information on nomination and election process